Your Carseldine Centre for Sexual Health Information and Treatment
Carseldine Family Clinic specialises in sexual health information, prevention and treatment. Read below for the range of services available at our GP clinic.
Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
PrEP is a new method for HIV prevention, in which people who do not have HIV take a daily pill to reduce their risk of contracting HIV.
As PrEP is taken before exposure to the virus, the treatment works by interfering with HIV’s ability to establish itself permanently in the body.
The effectiveness of PrEP has been established by clinical trials conducted in heterosexual adults, gay men and people who inject drugs.
To book an appointment, please call our receptionist at 07 3263 4500 and specifically ask to schedule a screening appointment with Dr Baer. This is the initial 45 minute screening. Please note that there is a consultation fee for this service.
More information about the QPrepd programme can be found by going to www.hivfoundation.org.au.
S-100 Prescriber for HIV-Positive People and Rapid Test (Point of Care Testing)
Our services include:
- S-100 Prescriber for HIV-positive people
- HIV rapid test. This is a screening test for HIV that provides results within 20 minutes, by testing a small blood sample taken from the fingertip. If an HIV rapid test is “reactive”, you will always be given a laboratory blood test to confirm the results, as rapid tests produce a small number of false positive results.
Other services provided during your doctors consultation include:
- Treatment and testing of sexually transmissible infections (STIs)
- HIV management, including access to post-exposure prophylaxis (Dr Baer only)
- Sexual health screening, counselling, information, education and advice
- Chlamydia screening programme